Monday, November 5, 2012

Santa's Baby Set, Part I: Booties

My husband's little sister has requested a set of Santa themed baby items for her 3 month old son's Christmas pictures.  She found a set on Etsy that she really liked and asked if I could do something similar.  I was glad to accept her challenge, and quickly got started.  The set includes a sweet little Aviator hat, a Diaper cover, and these booties.  (I'll post pics and instructions for the hat and diaper cover as soon as they are done!)


Santa Booties!

Believe it or not, I had never made a pair of booties, so I went to my favorite resource for patterns:  Ravelry!  If you knit or crochet, Ravelry is wonderful place to find ideas, patterns, information about materials, and get to know other folks with similar interests.  Best of all, there is no charge to become a member and it only takes a few minutes to set up your profile.  If you are already a member, look me up and send me a friend request!  My username is Chuckjenn.

The pattern I selected for the booties was Assorted Baby Boots by Barbara Bazzocchi.   This is available as a free PDF download through Ravelry.  What I love about the pattern is that it shows you how to take a basic item and make small changes to suit your preferences.  The same basic pattern can be used to make Ugg boots, moccasin boots, or ballerina slippers.  It just depends on what choices you make. 

Using the basic pattern, I worked the soles in black and the upper part in red.  I made the last round of the boot with 2 strands of fluffy white baby yarn. 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the " shout-out" ! Glad you enjoyed the pattern. I don't know how I ever managed before Ravelry!?! luv luv luv the little Santa Boots. Great job!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete