Friday, September 28, 2012

Little Fall Pumpkin

I've been working on a large project lately, and I wanted to take a break to work on something that I knew I could get done quickly.  Since fall is my favorite time of year, I decided to make a little decorative pumpkin for my desk. 


This is my first go at writing down a pattern, so please be kind!

Here are the general instructions.  It works up much like the beginning of a beanie.

Stem: Work in Brown
Start with a magic circle
SC 8 stitches, connect the circle and tighten center.
Row 1 - 8: continuing in the round, complete 8 rows of SC (or until stem is desired height)

Pumpkin body: Switch to Orange
Row 9: SC 1 Increase 1 (2 SC in the same stitch), repeat all the way around
Row 10: SC 2, Increase 1, repeat all the way around
Row 11: SC 3, Increase 1, repeat all the way around
Row 12: SC 4, Increase 1, repeat all the way around
Row 13: SC 5, Increase 1, repeat all the way around
Row 14: SC 6, Increase 1, repeat all the way around
Row 15: SC 7, Increase 1, repeat all the way around
Row 16: SC 8, Increase 1, repeat all the way around
Row 17: SC 9, Increase 1, repeat all the way around
Row 18 - 27: SC all the way around
Row 28: SC 9, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
Row 29: SC 8, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
Row 30: SC 7, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
Row 31: SC 6, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
Row 32: SC 5, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
Row 33: SC 4, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
STUFF while the hole is big enough to work with!
Row 34: SC 3, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
Row 35: SC 2, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
Row 36: SC 1, SC2TOG (single crochet decrease), repeat all the way around
With a large needle, close the hole and stich from the bottom up through the top of the pumpkin to create ribs.

Vine: Work in Green
CH to desired length.
Work 2 SC in each chain.
Attach at the base of the stem.


7 comments:

  1. Love it! I've been looking for a nice big pumpkin pattern and yours is the best I've found! I plan on linking to this pattern from my blog tomorrow morning. :) mooglyblog.com if you want to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link love! I enjoyed your blog. I'll have to stop by more often.

      Jenn

      Delete
  2. This is way too cute! Thanks for sharing!
    Carrissa
    www.peneloperae.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size hook am i using for this pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really depends on the size of the yarn you choose and how tightly you crochet. If I were using worsted weight yarn, I would probably start with an F or G hook and move up or down from there depending on the results. Your goal is to make the stitches tight enough that the stuffing doesn't show through.

      Jenn

      Delete
  4. Love this pumpkin, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete